Science didn't understand my kids' rare disease until I decided to study it
Meet Sharon Terry, a former college chaplain and stay-at-home mom who took the medical research world by storm when her two young children were diagnosed with a rare disease known as pseudoxanthoma elasticum (PXE). In this knockout talk, Terry explains how she and her husband became citizen scientists, working midnight shifts at the lab to find the gene behind PXE and establishing mandates that require researchers to share biological samples and work together.
Study Could Help Predict Aneurysm Risk for Kids with Kawasaki Disease
Research at Seattle Children's aims to improve life for children with Kawasaki disease, like Olivia, who are at risk for aneurysms.
How to Help Your Kids Understand Alzheimer’s Disease
It’s hard enough for you to witness and accept Mom or Dad’s strange behaviors brought on by Alzheimer’s disease, let alone help your children understand why the loving grandparents they once knew now act differently.
How This Tough Mom Changed the Lives of Kids with Crohn’s Disease
When Cindy Frei’s son Caleb was diagnosed with Crohn’s disease, she started a one-woman crusade to help others kids with similar illnesses.
Bikini and a feeding tube: How Howell teen sisters help other kids with rare diseases
Allie and Jonna Crocker know how lonely it can be to battle a rare disease. They're on a mission to change that.
10 Mom-Tested Hand-Washing Tricks
How real moms get their kids to lather up and kill germs
How to avoid germs while traveling
The airplane isn't the only place along your travel route where germs thrive. Here are five ways to avoid germs while traveling.
What's the germiest place on a plane? Travel tips you need to know
In a study of 1,100 passengers, researchers found that one in every five travelers developed a cold. Here's how to avoid germs on your next flight.
7 Ways to Stop the Spread of Germs
If you're feeling under the weather, remember that you have the power to stop the illness from spreading once you've caught it! Here's how to keep your germs to yourself when you find yourself down for the count.
Dental Plaque Germs: What You Need to Know
Have you ever stopped to think about gum disease? The damage that dental plaque germs cause can be permanent.
Slideshow: 10 Public Spots Overrun With Germs
A lot of public places have more germs than a toilet seat. WebMD shows you where the bacteria and viruses lurk, from playgrounds to elevators to hotel rooms.
10 Worst Germ Hot Spots You Touch Every Day
Photo by Fabrice Lerouge/Getty Images Germs (the catchall name for bacteria, viruses, and other microorganisms) are everywhere—at home, in the office, even in your car. Luckily, about 99% of them can't harm us. But the other 1% can be annoying, uncomfortable, or downright scary: Most of these pathogens are either viral or bacterial and can cause everything from a common cold to a potentially life-threatening infection.
NBA Guard Shoves Knocked-Out Tooth Into Sock Before Continuing Play
Sugar-coated: How sweet treats damage your skin and what to do about it
If you get a big box of chocolates this Valentine’s Day, proceed with caution. That’s the advice of the U.S. Office of Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, which recently announced new guidelines about how much sugar is healthy to eat. Curious as to what the sweet stuff may be doing to our skin, we asked board-certified dermatologic surgeon Dr. Joel Schlessinger for some tips to see us through Valentine’s.
30 Quick and Easy Cleaning Tips for Every Room
Send dirt and germs packing with these genius tips.
10 Hot Spots for Germs
Germs are everywhere and can lurk on unexpected surfaces. Learn about hot spots for germs and strategies to help with cold and flu prevention.
How germs travel on planes
Raymond Wang is only 17 years old, but he's already helping to build a healthier future. Using fluid dynamics, he created computational simulations of how air moves on airplanes, and what he found is disturbing -- when a person sneezes on a plane, the airflow actually helps to spread pathogens to other passengers. Wang shares an unforgettable animation of how a sneeze travels inside a plane…
7 tips for keeping your kids healthy during cold season
Keep those germs where they belong — in tissues and off your kids!
Video: How to Wash Your Hands
Scrub away! There’s a correct way to wash your hands and get rid of germs.