Scammers Try to Take Portion of Unclaimed Property
People with forgotten bank accounts or insurance policies should beware of fraudsters seeking to profit from their overlooked assets.
In the Unclaimed Property Scam, asset locators or investigators contact individuals and offer to track down long-lost money. They demand an up-front fee or a percentage of the collected cash.
Such services are unnecessary and may be illegal.
Banks, insurance companies and other businesses are required to turn over inactive properties to the State Controller’s Office, which provides the information to the public for free. Once an unclaimed property is reported, investigators are prohibited by law from contacting the owner to offer their services.
Tennis Broadcaster Charged With Assaulting Man
A tennis broadcaster and former tennis pro has been charged with assaulting a man with whom is he acquainted, the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office announced
Justin Gimelstob (dob 1/26/77) of Los Angeles faces one felony count of battery with serious bodily injury with an allegation of personally inflicting great bodily injury.
Gimelstob pleaded not guilty yesterday and is scheduled back in court on Jan. 31 in Department 82 of the Los Angeles County Superior Court, Airport Branch.
On Oct. 31, Gimelstob allegedly attacked the man as he went trick-or-treating with his wife and son in West Los Angeles, prosecutors said.
The defendant faces a possible maximum sentence of four years in…
Los Angeles County District Attorney's Office
A man was convicted today for his role in the 2014 murder of a University of Southern California graduate student, the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office announced
Jurors deliberated for less than a day before finding Alberto Ochoa (1/23/97) guilty of one count each of first-degree murder, assault with a deadly weapon, second-degree robbery and attempted second-degree robbery.
Sentencing is set for March 8 when Ochoa faces life in prison without the possibility of parole.
Deputy District Attorney John McKinney of the Major Crimes Division prosecuted the case.
Ochoa and three others confronted 24-year-old Xinran Ji, who was walking home from a study group near the USC campus shortly before 1 a.m. on July…
Man Pleads for Fatal Car Crash Last Christmas
A 35-year-old driver pleaded no contest today to killing his passenger last Christmas morning, the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office announced
Adam Alexander Chacon of San Gabriel entered the plea to one felony count of voluntary manslaughter and one misdemeanor count each of driving under the influence of alcohol causing injury within 10 years of another DUI offense and taking a vehicle without consent.
Sentencing is scheduled on Jan. 3 in Department N of the Los Angeles County Superior Court, Pomona Branch. Deputy District Attorney Douglas Baek said Chacon faces 13 years in state prison.
On Dec. 25, 2017, Chacon was driving near Valley Boulevard and Brookline Avenue in Rosemead when he…
Parolee Charged with Murder of Bystander in Long Beach
A 42-year-old man was charged today with the shooting death of an innocent bystander in Long Beach earlier this month, the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office announced
Thomas Terrell McCreary (dob 2/28/76) of Sylmar faces one count of murder with special allegations of personally and intentionally discharging a firearm causing great bodily injury and death.
Case NA110819 includes allegations that McCreary was convicted of first-degree residential burglary in 2007.
Arraignment is scheduled today in Department S01 of the Los Angeles County Superior Court, Long Beach Branch.
On Dec. 1, McCreary reportedly got into an argument with a person and fired multiple shots, prosecutors said. The gunfire fatally hit victim Anna Marie Perez,…
Former School Janitor Sentenced for Sexually Abusing Students
A former janitor at a City of Industry middle school was sentenced today to 14 years in state prison for inappropriately touching 10 girls at the campus, the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office announced.
Michael Anthony Barry, 60, of La Puente pleaded no contest on Nov. 8 to five felony counts of lewd act upon a child, five misdemeanor counts of child molesting and one misdemeanor count of contributing to the delinquency of a minor.
Deputy District Attorney Babette Huley said Barry sexually abused the victims at Torch Middle School between August 2016 and May 2017. One victim was molested from August 2014 to June 2015. The girls ranged in age from 10 to 12 years old, the prosecutor said.
The case was investigated by the Los Angeles County…