Nashville, Tennessee (TN), United States 37203-0007
The Associate General Secretary-DHE oversees all functions of the Division of Higher Education and serves as the chief executive and operating officer for the Division; responsible for the vision and work of the Division.
Essential Job Functions:
1. Administers and oversees the higher education mission and programs mandated by the Book of Discipline including annual operating budget and the three program sections: Black College Fund & Ethnic Concerns, Campus Ministry, and Schools/Colleges/Universities.
2. Insures that UM-related educational institutions create superior environments for leadership development by enhancing their denominational identity, overall quality, and financial viability. Supports the vitality of both church and college by strengthening relationships among denominational leaders and educational institutions. Provides technical assistance for UM and Methodist-related institutions in the US and the world; works to strengthen UM-related SCU presence and relationships as identified in GBHEM’s strategic plan.
3. Provides oversight to the viability of campus ministry and enhancements to the UMC’s commitment to campus ministry including development of theological and practical models for campus ministry; training and development resources for campus ministers and chaplains; and effective methods for assisting annual conferences in supporting and identifying strong leaders in campus ministry.
4. Serves on various committees in support of the work of the DHE including serving as Executive Secretary for the University Senate, Secretary/Treasurer of NASCUMC, Secretary/Treasurer of IAMSCU, board member of the UM Higher Education Foundation, board member of EIIA, member of the GBHEM Investment Committee, and staff support to the sub-committee on Higher Education of the Council of Bishops; seeks ways to increase the effectiveness of these programs as it relates to the work of DHE and as outlined in the strategic plan.
5. Creates new program initiatives, continuously seeks ways to innovate the existing programs of the Division of Higher Education, and oversees the securing of financial resources from external sources in accordance with the strategic plan and in consultation with the executive staff council and authorization from the general secretary; leads the Board and Division in the development and implementation of the strategic plan.
6. Shares in providing leadership of the GBHEM as a member of the executive staff; analyzes and responds to needs of the entire organization as a strategic partner and team member; offers regular input regarding plans for major initiatives in own area as well as other divisions/offices of the board, provides recommendations, fulfills assignments from the general secretary, and, when necessary, in consultation with other executive and program management staff, and…