According to local legend, the first Christmas tree in Georgia was erected in 1858 inside the home of George Loehr in Elberton. The tree was lit with candles, so to protect his family from the flames, George built a small picket fence around it. Today his home is a place of business and affectionately known as the "Christmas Tree House."
PLACES IN PERIL UPDATE
By Doug Walker, Rome News-Tribune
Just in time for Christmas, restoration of the Fairview School building that was listed…